Business Plan Format
As of Spring 2013, the SVBPC submission requirements have been modified to focus on the business model, customer validation, and actions taken by the founders.
SVBPC 2013 Entrants are now required to submit the following
- A brief description of the product/service and value proposition, along with Personal/team details (at the time of registration).
- A 1-page Executive Summary and responses to a set of questions listed below.
- A Pitch deck (10 slides max.)
- A video pitch of 60-90 seconds.
BY May 1, 2013:
The Executive Summary should summarize responses to the questions below.
BUSINESS PLAN SECTIONS/QUESTIONS
Respond to the following questions in separate sections. Each section should be 1-2 pages max., 0.75” margin, min. 11pt. font, single spaced (or 10 pt. font, 1.5 spacing). Support your statements with Figures, Tables, and Photos. These, as well as financial projections may be included as appendices. Cite references for information provided, as footnotes or endnotes.
- The Opportunity/problem/need
Explain why you decided to pursue this business opportunity or solve this problem? Why now?
- The Product/Service and Value Proposition
Describe your solution and the benefits/value it provides to the customer, the specific problem it helps to solve.
- Market size and customer profile.
What’s the market size and how fast is it growing? Who are your most important customers?
- Key Competitors. What differentiates your solution from theirs?
Present in the form of a competitive matrix
- Business model and revenue model.
What would customers be willing to pay for? How would they prefer to pay? If you have more than one revenue stream, how much would each revenue stream contribute?
- Go-to-market strategy.
Who are your key partners? What tasks will they perform? What distribution channels will you use to reach customers, and why? What’s your business development and marketing strategy?
- The current status/stage of your venture. What are the major accomplishments to date?
Do you have a prototype? How many potential customers have you interviewed/surveyed? What did you learn from their feedback?
- The Team
Provide names and experience/skills of all team members, including advisors. Why are you the “right” team to start/build this business?
- Major milestones for the next 3, 6, and 12 months.
Provide a table with dates. What are the resources required to meet those milestones?
- Startup capital requirements
How much money do you need for the next 12 months? For what purpose? (Pro forma financial statements for the first 3 years are optional, and can be included in the appendix).
- Finally - How would winning this Competition impact your plans?
Explain in a couple of sentences.