What is the MIS Honors class?
2-semester version of the MIS Practicum (Bus119a). It consists of 119h (instead
of 119a) plus one elective. This class is part of the College of Business' Gary
J. Sbona Honors Program.
Why should you do this?
- It's fun to learn and do new things, especially when they're
- You'll learn useful skills that matter to employers (technical and "soft" like
- You get to work with in a team
where everyone is smart and motivated. No freeloaders!
- The class is small. You get personal attention and coaching.
- Enriched content as compared
to 119a., with more depth. Lots of guest speakers.
- No exams!
- You get good stuff to add to your resume.
to see what student alumni say about the experience!
than a class! You also get:
- Get to participate in a more
significant project than ordinary Bus119a students (great learning experience
and good for your resume)
- Get special networking opportunities with potential employers, alumni, other honors
students and faculty.
- Have opportunities to represent the MIS Department
and the College of Business
- Be among the elite students whose diploma and
transcript indicate they earned departmental honors in MIS.
- Departmental honors noted on diplomas will be
awarded to students successfully completing both
semesters and maintaining an SJSU GPA of 3.0 and a major GPA of 3.5
- Students who successfully complete the honors
practicum with a B or better will receive a completion certificate (with
How is this different from a regular 119a class?
Who is qualified to apply?
- Your overall SJSU GPA (SJSU CUM on your transcript) must be 3.0 or better and your
Business GPA must be 3.25 or better.
- You must have completed at least two semesters of
course-work at SJSU by the time the Honors Practicum begins.
- You must have completed 110a, 110b and 100w before the practicum begins, and
you must have completed 112 or take it during the fall semester.
Your Business GPA is based on Bus 100 and above courses, including Business Ethics.
However, mySJSU does not calculate this for you. This is the official
requirement, but for MIS, I'm more concerned about your MIS classes. You should
have mostly A's, especially in 110a and 110bIf you are unsure if you are qualified, or just want to talk about the
program, contact the instructor: Jeanne Sawyer.
Enrollment is by invitation
How do I apply?
Submitting your application is an online process.
Submit your complete application in the
Please be prepared to copy/paste into the form:
- Essay of no more than 500 words on the topic:
In what SJSU course did you receive your best grade, and in what course did
you receive your worst grade? Please explain the reason for both.
- Unofficial SJSU Transcript
Then, based on your application, and in consultation
with other MIS professors, students will be selected for
interview and ultimately offered a position in the
class. It is a competitive process.
What if I have questions?
Contact the Honors instructor:
When does the class meet?
The MIS Honors Practicum, Bus119h/118s, meets Monday
afternoons, 3:00-5:45pm. The instructor is Jeanne
Sawyer. This is a two semester class: please do not apply unless you are able
and willing to complete both semesters. Your grade in the 1st semester depends
on the 2nd. The honors class counts as your required course
(119a) plus uses an elective.
Other areas of concentration should check
appropriate departments for requirements and the schedule of classes.